History and FAQ

Patch notes, work in progress, and any other news.
Godmode

History and FAQ

Post by Godmode » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:05 pm

About Eden:
Eden is a level 75 ToAU era server that is focused on bringing that team-centric culture back to FFXI. There are some adjustments to quality of life and job balancing but in general things are ToAU era settings. We have working fishing from Setzor himself, gardening and chocobo digging for elemental ores (no workarounds needed!), original dynamis (with moving statues and the hourglass system!), and original level difficulty CoP missions. We develop ourselves as well as frequently import new progress from DSP but we release content when it is balanced/working properly so that new players have the same advantages as veteran players and no matter when you join Eden you'll have a great experience.

Some Server Settings:
- Era: Treasures of Aht Urghan
- EXP Rate: 1x
- Fame Rate: 1x
- Skillup Rate: 1x
- Movement Speed: 40 (era default)
- HP Warp / Explorer Moogles: Disabled
- Level Sync: Enabled
- EXP Bands: Original Values

History of Eden:
Eden was modeled off of--the now shut-down--Kupo server. As one of its former players I recognized the clever decision by Icon to only enable content that was working. That way players that join later than others shouldn’t feel cheated that older players were able to take advantage of broken mechanics.

Eden was originally designed to go live in March 2019 after much prep work. However, I received news that Kupo was going to shut down. This gave me a couple of decisions to make. The most important was if I should release the server early to allow Kupo players a place to play. And the second was whether to allow Kupo players to maintain their status and ranks.

After conferring with unbiased sources as well as the players themselves; I decided to release Eden early, but in a beta phase—which is what we are currently in. It’s not a beta in the sense that progress will be wiped afterwards. But more so that things may change, some progress may be reverted if it was overpowered, and you will have to work around some bugs. (We did release 6 months ahead of schedule after all.)

I also decided to allow Kupo characters to import their characters. I made this decision for a couple different key reasons. One, because they don’t have a place to turn back to if they decide Eden isn’t right for them. Two, because for the most part, there were no handouts or advantages given to Kupo players that new Eden players wouldn’t get. Kupo characters had it tough. They had to farm/HELM everything themselves to craft and many times they got items taken away after hours of labor if it was broken. While Eden characters will have it more difficult starting out in a few aspects, Kupo characters had it rougher starting out in most.

What’s different:
This is not an exhaustive list but here are some things that are different from retail era, or other DSP servers on Eden.
- Some out of era NMs and items from them are explicitly allowed. We feel that a large thing that made era FFXI great was so much content that stayed relevant while still allowing more gear to obtain. We feel the items we explicitly permit will not force era items or content to retire.
- Fishing is almost 100% like current retail. We have Setzor after all.
- We are the first public North American DSP server with old school gardening. No need for workarounds to get elemental ores here!
- NMs drop the non-ex version of items and most changes made by SquareEnix to combat RMT do not exist here. This means the relevant BCNMs also don’t contain the non-ex versions.
- Auto HP isn’t a thing here. Jcmmorris, Atomos, and Wiggo from our development team killed it and sent it to DSP for every server to use.
- Our community is awesome. We are all very helpful and our players will report cheaters very quickly.
- CoP missions are original level difficulty. Even though in ToAU era they were eased some this is not the case on Eden. They are hard... but not impossible.
- Our dev team has combined decades of programming experience. And we submit everything to each other for a code reviewing process. We also take advantage of importing new DSP contributions at least monthly.
- We have admins that actively patrol for cheaters and can assist players that may have gotten stuck somewhere. Please note that these admins have all of their actions logged to prevent abuse and they don’t have elevated permissions to add items or anything. Their GM characters are also separate from their normal characters so they can’t warp themselves anywhere or abuse the system.

We hope you will join us and if you have any questions please reach out to us and we’d love to answer them. Please just respect our players and staff and ask them in a respectful way.